Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Crossing the finish line...

I have enjoyed exploring the CTLS 23 Things. I had no idea of many of the tools available online. I now know how to navigate them better, and even though I don't consider myself an expert by any stretch, at least I have familiarity. I really loved all the applications online, like the word processing & file saving/sharing. As long as you can connect to the Internet, you have a home office that goes with you everywhere. I still don't quite understand the appeal of some other things, like social networking. Still, the exercises forced me to learn by doing, which is the best way for me to retain it. The organization and indexing of some of the sites could have been very much improved, but that's where libraries shine. Tagging as a form of indexing is definately a direction libraries can take, and this was eyeopening to me. I would be interested if CTLS offered similar training, focusing on a specific online topic in more depth--such as podcasting or online applications.

Thanks, CTLS!

No comments: